Mike Randall, the chair of The Leasing Foundation, recently reiterated the non-profit group’s commitment “to raising further awareness of the industry to make business finance a career of choice for young people and to help businesses in this sector hone and embed their diversity/inclusion and innovation initiatives.”
Randall, who is also chief executive of Simply, a UK-based asset finance provider, made the remarks earlier this month in response to his chairmanship of the Foundation being extended for 12 months until the end of April 2022.
His message chimes with the ideas behind World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development on 21 May.
He added: “The industry is changing rapidly, particularly because of the challenging year we’ve all been through.
“We are here to support the sector and will work hard to ensure everything we do is relevant and useful to businesses.”
The Leasing Foundation Diversity & Inclusion Initiative encompasses sexual orientation, gender, race and ethnicity, mental health, disability and age, helps companies in the asset finance industry to understand the business benefits of building inclusive leadership, management, organisations and teams and will help them embed inclusion and diversity into hiring, performance management, succession management, leadership development and learning.
Each year, the group aims to host events for those working in the finance industry, with previous events focused on topics such as unconscious bias and mental health.
The Diversity & Inclusion initiative is managed by a steering group led by: Carol Roberts, head of asset finance, 1PM Plc and Jo Davis, co-founder and director, Auxillias Ltd.
With assistance from:
- Melanie Chell, head of asset finance, Shoosmiths
- Patrick Jelly, commercial director, Aldermore Asset Finance
- Helen Lumb, chief financial officer, Shire Leasing Plc
- Brian P Murphy, sales manager, Alfa
- Catriona Powell, strategic change manager, Hitachi Capital Business Finance UK
- Laura Roberts, legal director, Liberty Leasing Plc
- Helena Thernstrom, head of legal, asset & invoice finance at RBS
- Emma Thomas, UK country proximity manager, Siemens Financial Services